Angular Momentum :Ifis the linear momentum of particle and is its position vector from the point of rotation then angular momentum.
(1) S. I. Unit :kg-m2-s–1or J-sec.
(2) Dimension : [ML2T–1] and it is similar to Planck’s constant (h).
(3) In cartesian co-ordiantes if
(4) In case of circular motion
= mvr sin φ
L = mvr = mr2ω [As and v = rω]
orL = Iω [As mr2 = I]
In vector form
(5) From ∴ =
[As and ]
(6) If a large torque acts on a particle for a small time then 'angular impulse' of torque is given by
Or Angular impulse
∴Angular impulse = Charge in angular momentum
(7) The angular momentum of a system of particles is equal to the vector sum of angular momentum of each particle i.e.,